You can encrypt 10 with the Microsoft BitLocker program that is preinstalled in the more expensive versions of Windows, your hard drive in Windows. We show you how to do it with and without TPM module and you have what you to be observed.
video | Windows 10 Anniversary Update: New Features
Windows 10 Anniversary Update: New Features
BitLocker in Windows 10 and 7: Requirements
BitLocker is the program 10. Hard disk encryption in Windows but it is not included in all versions: Windows 10 Home lacking for example. The following prerequisites apply so that you can use BitLocker:
- You use the Windows 10 version of Pro, Education, Enterprise or Windows 7 Ultimate or Enterprise,
- You have a TPM chip on your motherboard installed OR
- instead, it uses a USB key or password protection.
install the .NET Framework 3.5 in Windows 10
BitLocker in Windows 10, 7 use: With TPM chip
If you have installed a TPM chip in your PC, you can in Windows 10 with BitLocker your hard drive as follows encrypt:
- Opens the Taskbar and type in BitLocker. Selects manage the entry BitLocker. The Drive Encryption opens.
- In Windows 7, BitLocker her place at: Control Panel, System and Security, BitLocker Drive Encryption.
- Enable clicks under operating system drive on the lettering BitLocker.
Windows 10: Here you activate BitLocker encryption for your hard drive.
If you receive a message that on your device does not have TPM (Trusted Platform Module) can be used, you can still use your BitLocker, but for a setting in Group Policy is needed. How to do this, we will explain below.
BitLocker without a TPM: encrypt hard drive
To use BitLocker without a TPM, you must first a setting in the Group Policy change:
- Opens the Run dialog with the key combination Windows + R.
- Typing gpedit.msc and pressing the Return key.
- Navigate to Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, BitLocker Drive Encryption Operating System Drives.
- Request right click twice on the Eintag additional authentication at startup.
- the option selected in the top left of Enabled.
Windows 10: To activate your BitLocker without a TPM module.
- Sets down permit if not already a check mark for BitLocker without a compatible TPM.
- Including configuring at TPM start you choose from: not allow TPM.
- Click OK.
- Now you BitLocker as in the above procedure can be described call and activate it. Since you have no TPM module, you asks the encryption wizard then as your drive at startup to be unlocked:
- Connect USB flash drive
- Enter password
Without TPM module you need a USB key or a password to unlock the drive.
- Selects here, one of the two options, the USB flash drive is the safer option. However, you should make sure that this does not get lost or broken.
- If you choose a password, the following is offered to secure the recovery key:
- Save to your Microsoft account
- Save to USB drive
- Save to File
- Print recovery key
- The wizard then still asks if you want to encrypt the remaining free space or the entire hard drive. Unless your Windows is newly installed 10, you can choose the first option.
- BitLocker encrypts the background now the hard disk.
- On power-up you must now enter the USB key or password to gain access to your data.
BitLocker asks for the password to unlock the drive.
No BitLocker &# 8211; alternatives
If you can not use in your version of Windows BitLocker, there are many encryption programs that you can use it as an alternative. Read this:
- TrueCrypt alternatives: the best replacement tools!
Did you "BitLocker in Windows 10 and 7 (with and without TPM): Here's how" like Robert Lair?
Write us in the comments or share the article.
We look forward to your opinion - and of course you must like us on Facebook,
twitter or Google+.